Reflecting on 2023: A Year of Challenges, Triumphs, and New Beginnings

5:26 PM

As the curtains fall on 2023, it's time to unravel the chapters of a year marked by profound changes, challenges, and moments of triumph. Join me as I navigate through the highs and lows that defined this transformative journey.

Year 2023 recap

1. Health Struggles and Resilience

I ended last year's post on the note that I and Wali fell sick in December. Our fever, cough and flu continued into the new year as well. We were seriously ill for the first 10 days of January leading to multiple hospital visits for myself and Wali. I am certain, we contracted some variant of Covid, otherwise I haven't experienced flu and cough to be this bad and this long lasting. Apart from the wedding festivities which I couldn't enjoy much, this year started off on a tough note. I had taken annuals from work from the wedding which resulted in it being a sick leave in truth. I resumed working from January 15th but the cough persisted. It took at least a month more for the cough to go away. I could feel the weakness and after effects of this sick period for months. Wali alhumdulillah was much better than me. He recovered rather nicely after 15 to 20 days but he never regained his body mass and growth again. He is now underweight and skinny per medical diagnosis. 

2. Professional Rollercoaster

I mentioned in my last year's post that my role at worked changed from executive C-suite support. My JD additionally incorporated the role of Corporate Communications and Sustainability. Communication is something that comes naturally to me. This skill set polished further by working closely with C-suites and Board members. Apart for this great opportunity and experiential learning, the new role brought additional workload, responsibility and work hours with no additional compensation. I was initially okay with the arrangement since I was only in the learning phase and it provided me an opportunity to expand my CV. But I was expecting an improvement in my pay package after the learning phase was over. So after almost two years, my complete transition into the Corp Comms role happened in December. But much to my dismay, even after delivering, I was told to wait another year for a promotion as it was too early. This lead to great disappointment and dissatisfaction at my end. I recall applying at 6 different places after getting back at my desk hearing of the rejection. 

Funnily, Allah has his own ways. I was reached out on Linkedin by 2 recruiters for similar positions. I was interested initially but I went for the interviews to get myself assessed. The compensation package turned out to be way better but it meant sacrificing my 2 years of newly acquired skillset and returning back to my former role of being a C-suite support. Due to personal reasons and my heart burn from the non appreciative attitude of higher ups, I decided to pursue my career in my previous role with a 42% increment in my pay package. I'll be starting my new jon from January 15th inshallah and need all the luck, wishes and prayers. Joining a new place is a little daunting honestly. 

3. Blogging Hiatus and Renewed Zeal

Blogging, my creative haven, took a backseat amid the whirlwind of professional responsibilities. My blogging suffered the most this year. I was rarely active on my blog this year around and did very limited number of posts. I was so occupied at work and busy in doing the job of 3 different people that after returning home, I was left with little to no energy to plan, shoot and execute any content. With Wali growing up, he also needs more attention and time which again left me with zero energy to work on the blog. I am hoping this new year, things will change for the best and I will be able to resume blogging with a new zeal. I can already see a difference in my frequency in this month as I have been more active lately given that I am serving my notice period at work and just focusing on the handing over part to my replacement. 

4. Weight Loss Dilemma

Amid the chaos, the pursuit of weight loss took a backseat. An 80% work-consumed routine left me drained, lacking the motivation to prioritize fitness. A challenge that awaits attention in the upcoming year.

5. Financial Wisdom and Stability

On the financial front, 2023 proved fruitful. Despite soaring inflation, prudent savings and investments emerged as a silver lining.  I invested my provident fund into Islamic mutual funds and plan on doing the same with the remaining amount I'll be receiving from my settlement. Investing in mutual funds was a wise decision as its growing with a compound effect on a daily basis. 

Another thing that helped me save was the Baddies and budgets saving method. I purchased the savings binder along with savings envelopes from Daraz.pk. It helped me build a back up fund. A back up fund is where you save for all your monthly/yearly expenses. It helped me pay off my zakat and insurance policy premium by year end without putting a dent on my pocket as I was saving a chunk of amount every month to avoid the burden of lump sum payment in one month. Similarly I have amounts saved for other monthly expenses which is now going to help me survive for next 2 months of January and February since I wont be getting paid for these months due to the transition factor. 

6. Confronting Aging Realities

A stark realization of aging set in this year, impacting physical appearance and energy levels. The once-reliable beauty products now face resistance, and the aging process demands a recalibration of self-care routines. My hair are thinning out, my hands and feet don't look the same. My body doesn't look the same anymore and I don't know yet how to cope up with this feeling. A lot of products that used to perform well on my and yielded results rather quickly, no longer work for me. The foundation application isn't as smooth as it used to be. The energy levels are deteriorating and pains keep popping here and there. 

7. Spiritual Journey and Shortcomings

A regret echoes through the year – falling short on prayers. Despite sincere intentions, the commitment to regular prayers faltered. A resolution for the upcoming year is to rekindle this spiritual connection.

8. A Bundle of Joy on the Horizon

Amidst the challenges, a beacon of joy illuminates the path forward. Graced by Allah's blessings, our family anticipates the arrival of another bundle of joy in mid-May or June. As the year concludes, the promise of new beginnings brings excitement and nervousness. Wishing for a smooth journey ahead, your wishes and prayers are coveted.

With gratitude for the lessons and blessings of 2023, here's to embracing the uncertainties and opportunities that the New Year holds. Happy New Year to all my readers – may it be a year of growth, joy, and fulfillment! Stay healthy and beautiful. xoxo!!! 


You Might Also Like

0 comments

Like us on Facebook

Subscribe